Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are fully funded Canadian scholarships organized by the government of Canada in 2008.
Citizens of Canada, Permanent residents of Canada, and International students are eligible to apply for this opportunity in Canada.
The aim of the Vanier Scholarship program was to attract outstanding graduate students by offering them graduate scholarships to help them continue their future studies in Canadian Universities.
Vanier Scholarships in Canada are for PhD students in the fields of social sciences, humanities, natural sciences, engineering, or health-related fields.
This scholarship is an excellent opportunity for graduates to study in Canada as they will receive $50,000 per year for a time period of 3 years.
There will be 166 Vanier Graduate scholarships awarded annually.
Most of you might have a lot of queries regarding this scholarship, and for that reason, we will explain everything in this guide from the benefits of this scholarship to the application process of Vanier Graduate scholarships in Canada.
Let’s get started!
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
1. Benefits of Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship will help you with a financially stress-free education with $50,000 per year for a period of 3 years during your doctoral studies.
- You will have all kinds of help with your research cost and living expenses with the Vanier CGS, which is one of the most highly esteemed scholarships in Canada.
- The Vanier CGS program helps scholars connect with a diverse community of scholars from different areas, facilitating networking and collaboration opportunities.
2. Eligibility criteria for applying to Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Eligibility criteria for Vanier Graduate Scholarships Canada:
- Citizens of Canada, permanent residents of Canada, and international students are all eligible to be nominated for the Vanier CGS.
- Candidates must be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota.
- The doctoral program that candidates intend to pursue must have a significant research component, leading to the completion of a thesis, major research project, dissertation, or scholarly publication.
It should also include performance, recital, and/or merit-expert exhibit reviewed at the institutional level.
- Applicants must be pursuing their first doctoral degree, including joint programs such as MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, or JD/PhD, if it has a demonstrated and significant research component.
The research component must be a significant part of the program.
- Candidates must intend to pursue full-time doctoral or joint graduate research studies and research at the nominating institution.
For joint graduate research programs, only the PhD portion of the program is eligible for funding.
- Candidates should have completed no more than 20 months of full-time study in their doctoral program as of May 1, 2024, if they have completed a master’s degree before starting their doctoral program.
- If they have enrolled directly from a bachelor’s to a PhD program without completing a master’s degree, they should have completed no more than 32 months of full-time study by May 1, 2024.
3. Eligibility criteria to hold Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Eligibility to Hold a Vanier CGS:
- The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is valid exclusively at the eligible Canadian institution responsible for the nomination submission.
- Candidates must be registered in a full-time doctoral program or joint graduate research program (e.g., MD/PhD, MSc/PhD, or MD/PhD) at the nominating Canadian institution.
- If you’re getting a Vanier Scholarship, it’s generally not allowed to also be working as a faculty member at the same time, unless you take a leave of absence from your faculty position.
- Candidates must remain enrolled in the university and should show satisfactory progress in their time period.
- Candidates should not have any other scholarships like SSHRC, NSERC, or CIHR training awards.
- The award should be started within 12 months of the earliest possible start date on May 1, September 1, or January 1 following the offer of the award.
4. Which documents are required for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
4.1. Academic documents
This includes all your certificates & academic records like:
A: Bachelor’s transcript & certificate
B: Master’s transcript & certificate (if the student is applying for 2nd Master’s or fellowship)
C: Metric & FSC transcripts (10-12th Grade) (A level) (DMCs) and certificates (Supporting academic documents)
D: Course summary (to explain your courses & how your previous courses & studies resemble your future studies to which you are applying)
All of the above documents should be attested by respective boards.
Also, attest them from issuing authority of home countries. The respective university must attest university documents.
In the case of Pakistan, The above-mentioned documents must be attested by IBCC, HEC, and MOFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
IBCC authority is only responsible for the attestation of metric and inter documents.
Dear offices are present in Peshawar, Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, and also in other cities of Pakistan.
4.2. Important documents to submit during application for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Fill out the ResearchNet application form, including 2 reference letters with three sections each.
- Completing the Common CV (CCV) with limited entries (refer to “Completing the Common CV (CCV)” for details).
- Describe your research contributions in a one-page document.
- Write a personal leadership statement, up to 2 pages for English applications or up to 2.5 pages for French applications.
- You can include a one-page document if you have any special circumstances you’d like to share (optional).
- Obtain two leadership reference letters, each with a maximum of 2 pages.
- Prepare a research proposal, up to 2 pages for English applications or up to 2.5 pages for French applications.
- Provide project references in a document of up to 5 pages.
4.3. Valid passport, Birth certificate & NIC
- The passport of the applicant must contain at least one full blank page on both sides.
- The passport must be valid at the time of visa application and on arrival to Canada.
- A birth certificate or national ID card is also important to attach.
4.4. English Proficiency (IELTS/TOEFL) for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Here are the complete English proficiency requirements set by the Vanier Graduate Scholarships Canada 2023:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): minimum acceptable scores are:
The CBT is no longer being offered. CBT results will no longer be accepted as ETS no longer reports these results.
N.B. an institutional version of the TOEFL is not acceptable.
IBT (Internet-Based Test): 86 overall, no less than 20 in each of the four component scores.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): a band score of 6.5 or greater (Academic module).
4.5. Recommendation letters / Letters of References
The applicants must provide up to 2 leadership letters of reference of a maximum of two pages from the previous university, (Depending upon courses).
It is advised to provide a letter of recommendation from the HOD (Head of the department or Relevant course head) who should be a PhD.
The referees need to write their contact details (Email, phone number) at the end of the letter.
The letter must include an official letterhead, signature, and official stamp and must be of the current date.
Ask your Referees to write about your academic achievements & discuss their confidence in you that you are fully compatible with the project or course you wish to pursue.
The referees must also mention how long they know the applicant & when was the last time they came in contact with the applicant.
After submitting your application, the referee will be contacted directly through email.
Europass CV can be easily made here.
The CV must contain all the latest & relevant information about your occupation & interests.
A perfect CV must be hand-signed.
4.7. GRE Score
The GRE score must be 145 in accordance with the new scoring system. The score must be much higher in subjects related to your academic field.
For example, Students with engineering backgrounds must have good scores in Physics, chemistry etc. while students of Social science and humanities must have good scores in Verbal subjects.
4.8. Hope certificate (If applicable)
If the final transcript isn’t ready then students can apply with a Hope certificate from their university.
However, they must graduate before their arrival in Canada.
(Please make sure you contact your university in this regard )
4.9. Research Plan / Proposal (Optional)
Research publications/ Achievements (conference papers, article review, abstract of thesis)
The research proposal is mostly required for postdocs or Ph.D. students. (Depend upon the courses)
It asks you to write about the research project you agreed to complete with the assigned academic advisor.
Your research proposal should be a brief description of your research goals and objectives, the methods with which you wish to process that research, the outcomes you desire, the timeline and budget you have estimated, and the area of study you wish to explore.
It shall be a brief document yet explain the entire vision to the reader so that those analyzing your application could know of your objectives and grant you the scholarship if they match the program’s criteria and eligibility.
Taking help from an external party is strictly prohibited and violation in this regard could lead to your disqualification no matter how incredible your proposal is.
4.10. Statement of Purpose or Letter of Motivation for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Technically SOP (Statement of purpose) and LOM (Letter of Motivation) are the same things.
It’s a Short biography to tell the panelist about yourself:
Letter of motivation or SOP could be a tricky part while applying for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
In this letter, you are asked to write about your personal and professional reasons why you are applying for a course & scholarship.
The maximum length of this letter is three pages, But it is advised to make it short & concise to one page.
How to write a perfect letter of Motivation?
If you are interested in writing your LOM on one page concisely, then follow this exact method.
LOM consists of three parts:
Let’s explain these three things one by one.
Introduction is the gateway to the rest of the letter. Try to capture their interest in the first few sentences. Be original & creative.
Make it personal & full of enthusiasm.
TIP: Try to initiate a story about yourself relevant to the scholarship you are applying & then expand it to the first paragraph of the body.
In the first paragraph of the body, try to tell about your relevant academic & experienced background to the course and your professional goals attached to Canada and the university. Share your expectations of the scholarship.
In the 2nd paragraph be more precise & focus on the specific achievement related to the scholarship & course.
In the 3rd paragraph expand on what you are currently doing & the interesting things you look forward to.
Tell them why you are the best candidate for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships. Don’t sound needy or use pompous language instead focus on why you deserve it.
4.11. Experience letter
Applicants must provide an Experience letter from previous jobs and internships.
Try to customize the work experience letter with future studies.
Mention your job descriptions, work projects & the skills you learned through time.
The letter must be signed & verified by the Head or CEO of the company.
The work experience could be Paid,
part-time, or voluntary.
It could be done before, during, or after graduation.
4.12. Portfolios or workshop
It’s optional. However, students can attach portfolios or workshops to support their cases for university admission or scholarship.
Note: Visit this link for the format of documents to be uploaded.
5. How to apply for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
Application shortcuts for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships:
Universities Canada Websites > Find a University > Check the Vanier CGS quota of the University > Register at ResearchNet > Fill out your Online application at ResearchNet > Submit your application.
5.1. Find a University
You can start finding an institute for yourself on the Universities Canada website.
5.2. Check for your Institute in Vanier CGS quota
You need to find a Canadian institute for yourself that also has a quota in the Vanier CGS quota page.
There is a complete spreadsheet list uploaded on this link which can tell you about your university’s quota for the Vanier CGS.
See the screenshot below.
5.3. Online Application
There are two situations in the second step after you are selected for the institute you chose:
- The first one is that, sometimes universities on their own initiate the nomination process by contacting the desired candidate.
- In the other situation, the student has to contact their university’s faculty of graduate studies for their interest in applying to the Vanier CGS program.
After this, you have to apply online through the ResearchNet application system to the institute within their internal deadline.
5.4. Submit the Application
Now, you just have to log in to your ResearchNet account Click on “Find Funding Opportunities” and select “Apply for Funding” and then there will be a list displayed.
Click on the “Actions” menu on the right side and choose “Apply to this Opportunity” to get to the main application menu for the Vanier CGS.
This menu shows tasks you need to finish before you can send in your application.
You need to create a CVV account as well and connect it to the ResearchNet account (refer to section 4.2)
Now, complete all the tasks and submit the application.
See the 2 screenshots below for a complete idea.
6. What are the deadlines for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
The deadline for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships in 2023 is November 1st, 2023, however, some institutes have set their own deadlines for applicants.
7. FAQs about Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
7.1. What is the selection process for Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships?
A: The Eligible nominations are examined by a selection committee from one of three federal agencies: Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC)
Nominations are properly reviewed based on three equally important criteria:
- Academic Excellence: This considers candidates’ academic records, including grades, awards, and the quality of their publications and presentations.
- Research Potential: The feasibility, originality, and significance of the research proposal, along with the candidate’s research capabilities and critical thinking skills.
- Leadership Potential and Demonstrated Ability: This assesses candidates’ leadership experiences, such as mentoring and volunteering, as well as their potential to become leaders in their field.
7.2. Is Vanier Canada Scholarships only for PhD students?
A: Yes, the scholarship is for the doctorate program, MD/PhD, MA/PhD or master’s leading to PhD for 3 years with a $50,000 financial award per year.
7.3. Can international students get full scholarships in Canada?
A: Yes, International students can get fully funded scholarships in Canada in the form of financial awards like the Vanier Scholarships.
These financial awards, unlike loans, don’t require repayment.
Typically, they’re awarded to students with exceptional academic records, although specific scholarships also acknowledge volunteer work and job experience.
7.4. Is the Vanier Graduate Scholarship enough for your yearly expenses?
- Yes, The financial award provided in the international Canadian scholarship will help you cover your tuition fees, accommodation, and study-related expenses.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship is an amazing opportunity for those research students who have always wanted to study in Canada but couldn’t due to their financial issues.
The Vanier Scholarships offer $50,000 per year, which is enough for any student for every year expenses and studies.
This financial support takes away the stress of money and lets students concentrate on their studies and research.
Open to citizens, permanent residents, and international students, these scholarships underline Canada’s reputation as an excellent place for education.
The selection process emphasizes good grades, research potential, and leadership skills, making them very demanding about awards in terms of Canadian scholarships.
If you dream of excelling in your studies while enjoying a supportive academic atmosphere, the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships are the perfect way to achieve your goals in a top-notch educational system.
So, hurry up and start your application right now!
We cover everything in detail, but if you still have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask us in the comments.